One of the Stoneware crystal glazes, designed to expand upon the surface with dazzling bursts of color. Fired results will vary based on ware's orientation.
Cone 5/6 to 10.
Cone 6: Aurora Green produces a mottled aqua gloss glaze with light brown and large black crystals. As the crystals melt, bursts of blue and brown will develop.
Cone 10: Color changes to a variegated pink/blue/green. Crystals become less pronounced.
- The base glaze is Green Tea (GL-16SW108). For a lighter crystal effect, you may try applying two coats of Green Tea with a third coat of Aurora Green.
- The large-sized crystals in Aurora Green often settle in the bottom of the glaze. Be sure to stir the glaze well or pour it onto a plate to make them more accessible.
- Avoid placing crystals near the bottom third of a vertical piece as they may cause additional movement during firing. Crystals will flow more than the base glaze.
- While the glaze is wet, use a fan brush to redistribute the crystals to achieve balanced coverage.
- Over-application or heavy deposition of the crystals can cause pinholing or running.
- When storing a crystal glaze, you may consider storing upside down to facilitate crystal dispersion on the next use.
- Always test prior to use.
One Pint (16 oz.)