Crystal glazes are dazzling glazes that are designed to expand upon the surface with bursts of color. They were designed to mature at cone 06/05. Apply to shelf cone 04 bisque. The crystals in the glaze will melt when fired, which may create a textured surface. As that surface may be difficult to properly clean if in contact with food, we recommend crystal glazes to be used on decorative ware.
Tips for Application:
- Shake the jar well prior to each application coat because the crystals will settle to the bottom of the jar in a short period of time.
- Avoid placing crystals towards the bottom of ware to keep them from flowing onto the kiln shelf during firing.
- Apply 2-3 coats using a fan or hake brush to the top two-thirds of the piece.
- Allow to dry between coats.
- During your last coat, use your brush to push crystals onto thinly covered areas, or dip your brush into the jar and gather crystals onto it, then "pat" them on the sparsely covered areas.
- Higher temperature firings will change the colors from cone 06 results and movement and flow WILL increase.
One Pint (16 oz)